Safety and Survival Testing Services
Their life is in your hands.
That’s why you need DTB to carry out thorough Safety and Survival Test, with performance and reliability evaluation of your critical safety product.
With four decades of demonstrated high quality performance in this highly specialized field, DTB has developed all of the necessary test facilities, special test equipment, program management structure, government furnished equipment [GFE] tracking, and quality control systems necessary to perform rapid and cost-effective quality assurance testing of this most critical aspect of mission effectiveness.
Aircrew Equipment Testing and Validation
The Dayton T. Brown, Inc. Safety and Survival Department provides the testing and engineering services required to perform developmental test and evaluation, first article, qualification, and production lot quality conformance verification testing in support of all phases of the ALSS/ALSE life cycle.
Our facilities are equipped to provide all services necessary for the complete range of fully integrated engineering and test program support.
DTB’s staff has performed a variety of Safety and Survival Testing, such as
Accelerated Environments testing, Explosive Decompression testing,
Altitude / Vibration testing,
explosive atmosphere testing, ballistics anti-fragmentation testing, and optical testing,
on the following applications:
- Ejection Seats
- Oxygen Systems and Equipment
- Helmets and Visors
- Restraint Systems
- Life Rafts and Preservers
- Personal Protective Equipment/Systems
- Compressed Gas Systems / Cylinders
- Seat Survival Kits
Some of the developmental test and evaluation programs that DTB has performed Safety and Survival Testing for include:
- Multi- Platform Restraint Systems
- USAF & Navy Ejection Seats
- Crashworthy Systems
- Night Vision Equipment
- Helmet Mounted Displays
- Airsave Survival System Assembly
- Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JMCS)
- Directed Energy Eye Protection
- Advanced Tactical Life Support System (ATLSS)
- Combat Edge
- Positive Pressure Breathing G-Sensing
- Oxygen Regulators
- Chemical, Biological, and Radiological (CBR) Protection Systems
Enhanced Windblast Test Facility
For over forty years, Dayton T. Brown, Inc. has been providing windblast testing services to evaluate aircrew safety during emergency aircraft egress
Aircraft emergency egress during flight generates aerodynamic loads on the aircrew member, personnel equipment, and aircraft components. These forces endanger the occupant during ejection.
The windblast facility produces a high velocity air flow field similar to the aerodynamic environment external to the aircraft. This is accomplished with the controlled expansion of high pressure compressed air which exits from a rectangular nozzle.
The centerpiece of the facility is the enlarged 3-feet-wide and 5-feet-high nozzle. This nozzle incorporates a symmetrical manifold delivery system. This improvement produces more uniform airflow across the nozzle than prior state-of-the-art competitive facilities. The broadened windblast air stream more accurately simulates the ejection aerodynamic conditions, resulting in a more realistic test environment.
The Enhanced Windblast Test Facility at Dayton T. Brown, Inc. can accommodate personnel equipment, aircraft escape systems, aircraft equipment, and aircraft sections at test peak velocities from 100 to 700 Knots Equivalent Airspeed (KEAS). This means that your product is exposed to higher velocities associated with advanced testing requirements.
Upon exiting the nozzle, the air impinges on the item under test, which is mounted on the positioning turntable. The dynamic effects on the test item are recorded with high speed video cameras and electronic data transducers for subsequent analysis.
Life Support Equipment/Systems Testing includes testing and evaluation of:
- Helmets and Helmet Mounted Equipment
- Rescue and Restraint Systems
- Flight Clothing, Anti-Exposure Suits
- Respiration Systems, Pressure Vessels/Systems
- Oxygen Equipment, Converters, and Generating Systems
- Chemical/Biological Protective Equipment
- Windblast Simulated Ejection Test Facility
- Aircrew Equipment Evaluation, Ejection Seats
- Structural Integrity of Ejection System Components
- 650 KEAS Maximum Velocity with Rapid Onset Oxygen Equipment Test
- Laboratory Optics and Laser Eye Protection Test Facility
Deployment Performance Evaluation
- Inflatable Equipment Test Facility: Rafts, Preservers
Pneumatics Testing: Air, 02, CO2, N2, He, Ar
- Burst Pressure, Hydrostatic, 30,000 psig
- Proof Pressure, Gaseous, 12,000 psig
- Reliability/Life/Fatigue Testing
- Ballistic Antifragmentation Environmental Programs
- Coatings/Corrosion Prevention Test and Evaluation
- R and M Improvements: Materials and Products
- ODC Replacements: Performance Evaluation
Dayton T. Brown, Inc. has been an active member of SAFE for several years, and exhibits regularly at their Annual Convention. The primary objective of the SAFE Association is to stimulate research and development in the fields of safety and survival, and to disseminate pertinent information to concerned individuals in government and industry. In addition, the objective is to establish and maintain a meaningful relationship between the SAFE Association and the scientific communities related to safety and survival.
SAFE publishes a Journal, Newsletter and the Proceedings of the Annual SAFE Symposium. These publications are valuable reference sources for the professional involved in safety and survival.
SAFE culminates each year’s activities with the annual SAFE Symposium. Presentation topics range from desert survival to the latest aircraft passenger egress aids, cockpit design, restraint systems, and school bus design to international symbols related to transportation and safety, and crew training. The Symposium is attended by an international group of professionals who are there to share problems and solutions in the field of safety and survival.
To view the SAFE East Coast Chapter’s latest newsletter, please click here.
Contact Information for SAFE:
Domestic & Foreign Mail (letters and packages)
Post Office Box 130
Creswell, OR 97426-0130
Federal Express, UPS, and other overnight service provider mail/packages
300 North Mill Street, Unit B
Creswell, OR 97426
(No domestic or foreign mail is delivered to the street address - specialty delivery services only.)
Phone (541) 895 3012
Fax (541) 895 3014
You may also be intrested in our
Transparent Armor and
Body Armor Testing.