The Design and Engineering Dept has performed Kinematic analysis on both military
aircraft flight controls and mechanisms as well as commercial industrial machinery.
DTB’s kinematic engineering capabilities range from motion studies to the analysis
of dynamic forces, velocities, accelerations and the kinetic energy absorption of
FEA – Finite Element Analysis
DTB has extensive experience in finite element modeling of all types of structures.
Static, dynamic, modal, random vibration (PSD) analyses are all available. Often
these analyses are used to compare to strain gage measurements during structural
tests. DTB use your solid models to create the FEM or can create the FEM from .dwg
files or from paper drawings.
DTB has experience with variable contact, non linear
materials and non linear analytical ultimate strength modeling. The following picture
illustrates an armament rack being analyzed for ultimate strength. These predictions
were then confirmed with a static test using a strain gages and calibrated test
DTB can support your thermal analysis needs through thermal finite element modeling.
The analysis can be done concurrently with structural modeling and analysis. The
attached figure shows the thermal analysis of battery pack.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
CFD analysis is a growing in accessibility to engineering as desktop computational
power increases. DTB has 64 bit PCs to power through these intensive analyses. CFD
can be used for the following:
- Calculate the gas pressure and temperature distributions in an engine exhaust manifold
- Study the thermal stratification and breakup in piping systems
- Conduct natural convection analyses to evaluate the thermal performance of chips in electronic enclosures
- Conducting heat exchanger studies involving different fluids separated by solid regions
- Laminar or turbulent flow
- Thermal or adiabatic analyses
- Free surface
- Compressible or incompressible flow
Fatigue Life Prediction
Using strain life methods, stress life or load life methods DTB can analyze your
product, develop a loading spectrum and make fatigue life predictions for system.
The strain information can come from test data or from finite element modeling predictions.
DTB can support field strain gage and load measurement to provide data for these
Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
DTB can perform a Failure Modes
and Effects Analysis during the design development process to identify potential
failure modes, determine their effect, and determine what steps have to be taken
to mitigate the failures.
By performing a FMEA early in the design development cycle,
DTB can design quality and reliability into your product/system to minimize potential
DTB can also develop detailed test plans/procedures to ensure that the
potential failure modes have been eliminated.
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD and T)
Our design and technical staff has been trained in the latest version of
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5.
We can help you determine product tolerance requirements and confirm
the results in our dimensional inspection laboratory.
We are experience in all concepts
including: form, true position and profile.
Test Fixture Design
DTB has the capability
of designing new test fixtures and adapting.existing fixtures that are used for
holding, vibrating and applying loads to 400,000 lbs and greater.
setups have been used in both static and fatigue testing for applications in aircraft,
automotive, and industrial components.
Custom Test Facility Design
For special applications,
the Test Lab Div. has the capability to design and build special facilities such
as our Engine Test Facility, Wind Blast Facility and Catapult Facility.
Equipment and Facilities
The testing of customer products often has unique requirements that
necessitate the design and building of specialized test facilities.
are often complex in that they simulate the environment and stress the product
while monitoring and recording critical product operating parameters.
The engineering staff at Dayton T. Brown works closely with our customers
to ensure that all aspects of the test facility design and ultimate operation
completely satisfies customer requirements.
In Design engineering the following are some of the equipment used at DTB:
- ANSYS Finite Element Analysis Software
- UGS I-DEAS (Solid Modeling)
- Autodesk Inventor (Solid Modeling)
- Autodesk AutoCad
- CoCreate OneSpace Drafting
- IGES, STEP, CATIA, DWG, DXF, PDF and C4 Software Translators
- Autodesk Inventor (Version 11) 3D Modeling and 2D CAD Software
- SDRC I-Deas (Version 12) 3D Modeling and 2D CAD Software
- Autodesk AutoCAD (Version 2006) 2D CAD Software
- Onespace Designer Drafting (Version 2005) 2D CAD Software
- ANSYS (Version 10) Finite Element Analysis Software
- SoMat Lifest Fatigue Analysis Software
- AFGROW Damage Tolerance Analysis Software
- Kaleidagraph (Ver. 3.09) Scientific Graphing, Curve Fitting, Data Analysis Software
- Visio Technical (Ver. 5.0) Engineering Illustrations and Flow Charting Software
- Hewlett Packard “E” Size Color Plotter