Opaque Armor Engineering and Testing
DTB is able to generate the required temperature conditions for armor undergoing testing in our ballistics facility. DTB’s environmental test chambers allow armor to be immediately tested for ballistic resistance with no loss of time in a stable environment condition.
We have a wide range of environmental
chambers that are suitable from components (individual pieces or lots), to an entire vehicle. With cutting edge
accelerated life testing and post-test ballistic performance we are able to provide you with the rigorous testing you need all captured with high speed video. DTB also has an on-site fully functional optics lab
that is used for a portion of ATPD 2352 testing.
- NIJ Standard 0108.01, Ballistic Resistant Protective Materials, September 1985
- STANAG 4569, Protection levels for occupants of logistic and light armoured vehicles, 1ED 2004
- UL 752, Bullet-Resisting Equipment, 11ED REV APR 2010
- MIL DTL 12560, Armor plate, steel, wrought, homogeneous (for use in combat-vehicles and for ammunition testing), version J
- MIL DTL 32262, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, unweldable appliqué 6061, Version 2007
- MIL DTL 32332, Armor plate, steel, wrought, ultra-high-hardness, version 2009
- MIL DTL 32333, Armor plate, magnesium alloy, AZ31B, appliqué, 2009
- MIL DTL 45225, Aluminum alloy armor, forged, version F
- MIL DTL 46027, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, weldable 5083, 5456, &5059, version K
- MIL DTL 46063, Armor plate, aluminum alloy, 7039, version H(2)
- MIL DTL 46077, Armor plate, titanium alloy, weldable, version G
- MIL DTL 46083, Aluminum alloy armor, extruded, weldable, version D
Armored Vehicle Evaluations
Complete armored vehicle evaluations can be done here quickly and efficiently with vehicle sized chambers and our 24 foot wide by 100m firing range. Our drive in chambers can determine the vehicle's reliability after
environmental exposure and live fire testing.
DTB can also test your vehicle systems for electromagnetic performance. We provide total vehicle performance evaluations and can help you with design improvement recommendations.
Our state-of-the-art laboratory includes more than 125,000 square feet of environmentally controlled testing space, as well as two indoor
ballistics test ranges.
Dayton T. Brown is a National Voluntary Laboratory Program (NVLAP) accredited, maintains a fully-documented calibration laboratory, which meets ISO10012-1, American National Standards Institute/National Conference of Standards Laboratories (ANSI/NCSL) Z540-1-1994, and is ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100C registered in accordance with the requirements of AS9104A.
DTB helps government agencies and large companies alike meet small business subcontracting goals by providing high-quality products and services. We also maintain a Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) approved Government Property System, as well as a Defense Logistics Agency/Defense Contract Management Command (DLA/DCMC) approved Purchasing System.
Armor Durability and Reliability Testing
DTB can perform all Mil 810 G, ATPD 2352, NIJ 0101.06 and NIJ 0108 environmental and ballistic armor tests. No other private lab in the country can make this claim. Recent experience has shown that standardized tests are not always enough to ensure failure free operation of armor after exposure to repeated environmental and vibration or shock cycles.
DTB develops customized accelerated life test protocols to simulate worse case conditions for a variety of different types of armor. Whether the armor is metallic, polymeric or ceramic, we can derive an appropriate accelerated life test to simulate over a decade of field use.